Good Practice Guide - Maths & English
Developing Maths and English in Vocational Teaching
Adopt a whole organisation approach to “sell” the importance of being numerate and literate, and invest in Professional Development.
- Vocational teams must send out a uniform message – maths & English are vital qualifications to gain!
- Ensure vocational teams @WSC conduct Functional Skills English Speaking and Listening Assessments – with many completed during induction activities.
- Work with awarding bodies to simplify process to ensure completing paperwork is a simple task
- Provide a whole College approach and ensure students receive meaningful feedback on maths, spelling & grammar in all assessed work
- Set-aside a whole Professional Development day to promote maths & English teaching methods used with students
- Use “vocational embedding wheels” to uncover quick and easy wins that naturally link to maths & English topics